U-Pick Strawberries at Fifer's
U-Pick Strawberry Patch Experience
U-Pick Strawberry Patch will Re-open May 2022!
Facebook for updates.
How It Works
Check back Spring 2022 for strawberries.
How To Pick
With the strawberry lightly in your hand, grasp the stem just above the berry and pinch with your thumb and index finger.
- Make sure to pick only the fully red strawberries. Berries with white or green tips will be not be fully sweet. Strawberries are one of the fruits that do not ripen after they are picked, so be sure to pick only mature, red berries.
- Size is not an important characteristic. Small red berries taste just as good as large red berries. Again, color is the most important quality to look for.
- Strawberries like to hide! Be sure to look deep in the center of the plants for hidden red strawberries.
- Do not pick flowers or green berries as this hurts the strawberry plants.
- The best berry picking is usually on the far end of the patch where fewer pickers venture. A little extra walking is usually worth the effort for easy, prime picking.
- All produce should be washed before eating at home. Please do not consume strawberries in the field.
- Do not overfill your containers to where berries are falling on the ground. The weight of overfilled containers crushes the berries at the bottom. A level-filled container is best. You can always get additional containers if needed.
- Please stay in your row. Do not jump over or straddle the plastic raised beds.
- Please do not walk-on or tear black plastic raised beds
- Children must be under adult supervision at all times.
- When you get home…cool your berries down as soon as possible after picking.
- Do not wash strawberries until right before you are ready to eat them.
- Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly. It’s always best to wear comfortable closed toed shoes. Sandals and flip flops are not recommended in the patch. Sunscreen is recommended. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- No pets allowed in the strawberry patch per food safety guidelines
- We work hard to keep Fifer Orchards clean and enjoyable. Please do not leave trash in the fields. Waste baskets are available for your convenience.
- Portable restrooms are available.
- Fifer's Farm Store is OPEN with pre-picked fruits and veggies, baked goods, ice cream, cider donuts, drinks and specialty foods.
Simply wash and drain well on paper towel. Place the berries in your freezer on a cookie sheet single layered. After frozen, move the berries into freezer tight containers or plastic bags and then place back in the freezer for long term storage. The berries are good for up to 1 year in the freezer. Great for smoothies!
Pick Fresh, Local Strawberries
Visit our Farm Store for a wide selection of local foods when you're done picking strawberries from the field.
Important Notes & Tips
Wear Comfortable Shoes
Comfortable, closed toed shoes are recommended on the farm.
Most Areas Are Stroller Friendly, However...
Most areas are stroller friendly. We are a working farm with some unpaved, uneven walking surfaces.
Restrooms Are Available
Portable restrooms on-site.
Sunscreen Is Recommended
Sunscreen is recommended. The sun can be sneaky, even during cloudy days.
Children Under 12
Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
Fifer’s is a non-smoking campus. This includes e-cigarettes. Thank you.
We love pets, however…unless you have a service animal, please leave your pets at home when attending our festivals, experiencing our U-Pick crops and shopping at our Farm Store. Food, children, and strange animals just don’t mix and Food Safety regulations prohibit pets on our farm grounds. Thank you for your understanding.
***Please be aware that participation in all activities is entirely at your own risk.***