2020 blueberry season is complete.
U-Pick blueberries will return June 2021.
Check out our other U-pick crops in the meantime.
Stay tuned to our Facebook Page for daily picking updates.
The patch is subject to change based on weather conditions and crop care.
Varieties include: Eariblue, Bluecrop and Jersey
Blueberry Picking Preparation, Tips & Etiquette:
How To Pick
- Please park on the grass when you arrive. Look for the Blueberry sign with the arrow. Next, find a Fifer staff person for daily picking instructions.
- Containers are provided for your convenience. Please do not bring containers from home. You will only be allowed to pick into brand new containers that we provide to you. This is for food safety.
- Please do not stray out from the designate picking areas. This is a working farm with equipment such as tractors, trucks and forklifts operating on the other side of the fences. Please heed the DO NOT ENTER signage for your safety and ours.
- Only pick in rows designated by a Fifer staff member.
- Customers must apply hand sanitizer before and after picking. We will provide this at the payment tent.
- Please stay home if you have a fever or don’t feel well.
- Please maintain proper social distancing between you and anyone not in your family.
- Please place any fruit that you touch in your container - do not throw any fruit on the ground.
- Portable restrooms will be available.
Ripe blueberries are plump, deeply blue colored and tinged with a powdery/chalky complexion.
- Pick only the ripe berries and leave the green berries to ripen for a later day. Green berries will not ripen after picking.
- Ripe berries should release easily from the bush.
- Size is not an important characteristic. Small blueberries taste just as good, if not better, than large berries. Again, color is the most important quality to look for.
- The best berry picking is usually on the far end of the patch where fewer pickers venture. A little extra walking is usually worth the effort for easy, prime picking.
- All produce should be washed before eating at home. Please do not consume blueberries in the field.
- Do not overfill your containers to where berries are falling on the ground. The weight of overfilled containers crushes the berries at the bottom. A level-filled container is best. You can always get additional containers if needed.
- Children must be under adult supervision at all times.
- When you get home…cool your berries down as soon as possible after picking.
- Do not wash blueberries until right before you are ready to eat them.
- Check the weather forecast and dress accordingly. It’s always best to wear comfortable closed toed shoes. Sandals and flip flops are not recommended in the patch.
- No pets allowed in the strawberry patch per food safety guidelines
- We work hard to keep Fifer Orchards clean and enjoyable. Please do not leave trash in the fields. Waste baskets are available for your convenience.
Do not wash blueberries prior to freezing. Place the berries in your freezer on a cookie sheet single layered. After frozen, move the berries into freezer tight containers or plastic bags and then place back in the freezer for long term storage. The berries are good for up to 1 year in the freezer. Great for smoothies!
New Farm Store Safety Protocols
Please do not bring containers from home. You will only be allowed to pick into brand new containers that we provide to you. This is for food safety.
- Maintain a safe 6-foot social distance between you and others not in your family while shopping.
- Wear a face covering when inside our Farm Store.
- Stay home if you have a fever or are feeling sick.
- Please shop with as few members of your family as possible to reduce crowds in our store.
- Please do not bring reusable bags from home at this time.
- Credit and Debit cards or contactless forms of payments are preferred. We also accept EBT cards and Fifer gift cards. Cash will be accepted as a last resort.
Fifer Safety Procedures
- All of our staff have pledged to follow CDC guidelines for safety. Each person answers safety questions and has their temperature taken each day upon arrival.
- Our staff washes their hands frequently and wears single use gloves when appropriate.
- Our staff wears face coverings when near customers or other colleagues.
- We sanitize highly touched surfaces on a regular basis with CDC approved sanitizer products.
- Our inside restrooms are currently closed to the public.
- Some items may be prepackaged for food safety.
Other Options For Shopping
- Curbside Pickup is available at our Farm Store on weekdays from 4pm-7pm. Orders must be placed online by 5pm the day before pickup.
- Satellite Pickup locations - Eight locations across Delaware on Wednesday and Thursdays.
- Farmers’ Markets - We attend farmers’ markets in Rehoboth Beach on Tuesdays from 10am-2pm and Lewes on Saturday from 8am-noon.
- Fifer’s Beach Store - Dewey Beach, Delaware
Fun For The Whole Family
The Country Store is stocked with summer fruits and veggies, strawberries, fresh apple cider, apple butter, local honey, apple cider doughnuts, fresh baked pies, unique specialty foods & summer decor items.
Important Notes & Tips
Wear Comfortable Shoes
Comfortable, closed toed shoes are recommended on the farm.
Most Areas Are Stroller Friendly, However...
Most areas are stroller friendly. We are a working farm with some unpaved, uneven walking surfaces.
Portable restroom available
Sunscreen Is Recommended
Sunscreen is recommended. The sun can be sneaky, even during cloudy days.
Children Under 12
Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
Fifer’s is a non-smoking campus. This includes e-cigarettes. Thank you.
We love pets, however…unless you have a service animal, please leave your pets at home when attending our festivals, experiencing our U-Pick crops and shopping at our Country Store. Food, children, and strange animals just don’t mix and Health Department regulations prohibit pets on our farm grounds. Thank you for your understanding.
***Please be aware that participation in all activities is entirely at your own risk.***
Other U-Pick Experiences
There's fun for all ages! Enjoy the most of what the seasons have to offer.